Ok, your scout is getting ready for Summer camp and now here comes the challenging part. Packing your scout for boy scout camp!
As an experienced scout leader, packing the right gear for camping trips makes for an enjoyable experience.
Here’s my tried-and-true boy scout camp packing list for summer camp and all other camp outs. Keep in mind, different climates calls for different gear. This is a general camp packing list for scouts and leaders.
Boy Scout Summer Camp Packing List
Here is my suggested list on what your scout should pack for summer camp:
- Class A Plus (This will be worn during flag ceremonies). This includes belt, neckerchief and slide
- Class B (at least 3 shorts and 3 shirts) My troop will have a laundry day in the middle of the week. Be sure to check with your camp if they have laundry facilities and keep in mind they will be coin operated so bring change. Send a small nylon laundry bag with your scouts name written on it with a permanent marker. Label their clothes too. If your troop does not do laundry, then bring an outfit for each day.
- A clean pair of underwear and socks for each day. When my troop does laundry, we will only wash shorts and shirts.
- Rope and laundry pins – The scouts can hang wet swim gear and towels to dry.
- Rain Gear
- A back up pair of shoes.
- A light jacket – Check the weather ahead of time and see what the night time temperature will be.
- Swimwear – Two would be preferred. Don’t forget the sunblock.
- 2 Towels – Look into one of these towels being a microfiber. They dry really fast.
- Sleeping bag, pillow, and a light blanket
- Mosquito Net – Trust me on this. Your scout will prefer to keep the critters on the outside of his sleeping cot. You will also need to bring some rope or paracord to help hang the net.
- Battery Powered Fan – A fan can give you some added comfort for those warm nights. Oh, by the way, bring extra batteries for these fans too.
- Water Bottle – Even though summer camps have facilities, each scout will need their water bottle during the day as they attend their classes and enjoy other camp activities.
- Wristwatch – Why would a scout need his watch, they have their cell phones for that, right? Well, your right… until they drain the battery by lunch.
- Toiletries – This should include soap (in a container), shampoo/conditioner, toothbrush/toothpaste, body wipes, and deodorant.
- Hat and Sunglasses – Remember, only BSA hats are allowed.
- Bedtime Outfit
- Flip Flops/Sandals – These are nice when taking showers.
- Medications – We typically have a scout leader manage medications and keep them for safety purposes too.
- Playing cards or non-electronic games.
- Zip-Lock Bags – These are great for keeping dirty clothes in on the way home or out of your scouts bags.
- Back Pack – This will carry merit badge books and your scouts 10 essentials.
Boy Scout 10 Essentials
- First Aid Kit
- Water Bottle
- Scout Handbook
- Notebook / Pencil
- Pocket knife
- Bug repellent
- Flashlight / Headlamp and extra batteries
- Rain Gear
*Some of these items can be kept at home if the weight of your scout bag becomes an issue.
So, you may think this boy scout camp packing list may be pretty daunting for your scout to take with them on a week-long trip, but having these creature comforts will ease the anxiety of leaving home for their big adventure.
Scout Leader Tips:
- Parents talk to your scout leaders about sending along a care package for your scout. Items to include are favorite snacks, cards, and a letter from home.
- Check with your troop for a general boy scout camp packing list and work with your scouts to pack everything on this list.
- Sometimes things will fall through the cracks, and items will be forgotten or lost. Having extra cash for these emergencies is always suggested.
- Be sure your scout labels everything with their name on it.
I hope you find this helpful for preparing your scout for summer camp. Look at for my post on What to expect on boy scout weekend camp out for packing list and tips.