These creative LEGO STEM activities for kids will keep them busy for hours! As parents, we have a huge responsibility to help our children develop and become productive citizens, while still balancing how to keep them entertained. STEM activities are the perfect solution to helping kids to have a better understanding of the world and how to relate to it.
What does STEM stand for?
STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. STEM activities are great for kids because they provide hands-on fun with science and math. Kids will learn without even realizing it!
The following LEGO STEM activities for kids will keep them engaged and entertained. What’s even better? You may even find that you enjoy LEGO building along with your kids. Making memories, having fun, and learning…that’s a win in my parenting book!
Kids of all ages love to build with LEGO bricks! Below, you will find 35 easy STEM activities for kids arranged by age level to entertain your kids and help grow their minds with LEGO building!
Fun LEGO STEM Activities for Preschoolers
- Build a LEGO Volcano that will really erupt. – The STEM Laboratory
- The LEGO Shadow Tower Challenge will take learning outside. – Lemon Lime Adventures
- Time for so high flying adventure with this easy and fun LEGO DIY zipline. – 123 Homeschool 4 Me
- This Geometric LEGO Blueprint activity will turn your preschooler into an architect- Kids STEAM Lab
- LEGO Color Sort Activity for hands-on fun. – This Little Home of Mine
- Build a LEGO Car and provide hours of play with their new creation. – Preschool Powol Packets
- Get creative with the LEGO Rainbow Activity. – STEAMsational
- LEGO More or Less will help kids explore the idea of greater than/less than. – Stir the Wonder
Fun LEGO STEM Activities for Kindergarten Students
- Engage your kids in a LEGO Bridge Building Challenge. – Frugal Fun 4 Boys
- LEGO Math Skip Counting Activity– Kids Activities Blog
- Timed LEGO Build Challenge that uses some friendly competition. – Simple Play Ideas
- LEGO Addition Cards will provide hands on fun to improve addition skills. – Playdough to Plato
- Kids can create an easy and fun to make Lego Marble Maze. – The Centsible life
- Kids can explore the value of money with the Money Skills STEM Challenge. – You’ve Got This Math
- Are your kids up for a real challenge? This Flat LEGO Challenge is sure to do the trick. – Picklebums
- Support classroom learning concepts and have a ton of fun with LEGO Math Ten Frame Games. – Lalymom
- Kids will love using lego bricks to build a maze for cars. – Fun Learning for Kids
Fun LEGO STEM Activities for Elementary Students
- This LEGO balancing scale is an instant winner. – Kids Activities Blog
- Try some LEGO Computer Coding Activities. Computer coding is a huge industry! Engage your kids early and who knows where it could take them! – Little Bins for Little Hands
- Construct a real working pulley with this LEGO Pulley STEM Building Challenge. – Frugal Fun 4 Boys
- Build a world map with this World LEGO Mosaic Pattern. It is sure to provide a challenge and you will be amazed by the beauty of the end product! – Childhood 101
- This is a great activity when your kids have reached the 100th day of school. It’s the 100th Day LEGO Challenge. – Math Geek Mama
- The Wind Racers Challenge asks kids to build a and race it against other designs using a fan to power the cars. – The Lego Librarian
- Build Houses for The Three Little Pigs with this STEM Engineering Three Little Pigs Challenge Activity. – JDaniel4’s Mom
- Have a child who loves to read? Help your child engage their imagination with this Storytime LEGO Building Challenge. – Left Brain Craft Brain
- This LEGO Math Challenge will help your child to practice their math skills, without even realizing it. – Buggy and Buddy
- Make these easy and fun rubber band LEGO race cars. – Little Bins for Little Hands Blog
Fun LEGO STEM Projects for Middle School Students
- LEGO City Earthquakes will help kids explore and learn about earthquakes in a hands-on approach. – Teach Beside Me
- This great activity challenges kids to create a LEGO Plant Growth Model. – Science Sparks
- Create a 3D Water Cycle Project and help your child understand the importance of water conservation. – EDventures with Kids
- This Wind Powered STEM Activity is sure to engage and excite your child to learn all about the power of the wind! – STEAM Powered Family
- Create your own LEGO Spinning tops and challenge your friends, – Frugal Fun 4 Boys
- These LEGO STEM Challenge Cards are sure to provide hours of fun. – Life Over C’s
- Get your older kids started coding with this Coding an LEGO Maze activity. This activity can be adapted for younger kids as well! – Research Parent
Whether you’re looking to engage your kids with indoor activities or outdoor challenges, this list will help you find what you’re looking for. Low prep STEM activities are the perfect way to show your children the magical world of science and mathematics in a fun way. Don’t be afraid to try all of the activities with your children, regardless of age. These groupings are based on development, but there is a lot to be learned for all kids in these activities, regardless of age. Happy LEGO building!