Have you been looking for a way to clean your vinyl plank flooring? Are you fed up with how your vinyl plank floors look?
I am here today because I’m passionate about helping people keep their homes neat and tidy. I know how difficult it can be when other members of the household don’t help out with chores like cleaning the bathrooms or doing laundry. But let’s focus on one thing at a time–today we’re talking about how to clean vinyl plank flooring!
We will cover all the information you need on how to clean your vinyl plank flooring, so it looks like new again.
Learn about everything you need to know about cleaning and maintaining your luxury vinyl plank floors.
Check out the rest of our blog, you’ll find helpful articles that will make maintaining your home easy peasy lemon squeezy!
What are Luxury Vinyl Flooring?
If you’re looking for a tough, durable, water-resistant option that is pliable and even waterproof, then luxury vinyl plank is probably what you need. It comes in many different colors and patterns and can mimic almost any type of hardwood or tile on the market.
The vinyl plank flooring can be laid on top of any type-wood, tile, concrete or carpet.
Many people are switching to luxury vinyl plank floors because they’re affordable and durable–not to mention how easy it is to clean them!
How to Clean Vinyl Plank Floors
The first step is to gather all supplies needed for each room in one location (or purchase a good quality kit). A vacuum cleaner with a hose attachment that’s specifically made for hard surfaces like wood and laminate floors; a mop bucket with water filtered through an appropriate filter; floor cleaning solution, hot water; mop; and a scrub brush.
- Use your vacuum cleaner and vacuum the all the loose dirt off the floors. Be sure not to use the beater bar on the luxury vinyl plank flooring to avoid any scratches.
- Start with the kitchen, as it’s usually one of the dirtiest areas in your home. Grab your bucket and mop.
- Fill up about gallon of hot water from your faucet in a cleaning bucket. Use a cup of white or apple cider vinegar with a few drops of dawn dish soap.
- Microfiber cloths are often the go-to choice for cleaning these floors because they’re gentler than other types of cloth and tend to last longer.
- The process is simple- After vacuuming your floor use your scrub brush to remove grime. Dip your mop in hot water solution wring out excess water and begin mopping your floors with a damp mop.
- Continue to clean vinyl floors in each room following these steps above until they are all clean. Before sure to change out your mop water with clean hot water solution to finish cleaning your floors.
Making your own floor cleaning solution:
I make my own vinyl floor cleaner with the following ingredients:
- One cup of White Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar
- One gallon of hot water
- A few drops of liquid dishwashing soap
How to Cover Up Scratches and Get Rid of Scuff Marks
The best way to get rid of scuff marks is by using wd-40 lubricant with a microfiber cloth to buffer out the marks. If you’re concerned about how to cover up scratches on vinyl planks, there are a few ways this can be done! If the scratch is minor and not too deep into the plank, it should buff out with some wax furniture polish–yep, even if its rubber based like Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (holds up better than other types of polishes).
How often should I wash my vinyl plank floors?
Cleaning your luxury vinyl planks once every two weeks should keep any dirt or other particles from building up. Mopping with a vinegar solution will help remove anything stuck in between the grooves while also brightening up their colors. However, if there’s something more stubborn on your floors, you might need to use a little elbow grease and scrub.
Top Rated Mops for Cleaning Luxury Vinyl Plank Floors
The O-Cedar Easy Wiring Spin Mop and Bucket
The O-Cedar Easy Spin String Mop and Bucket is a great option for vinyl plank floors because it’s easy to use. The microfiber mop is a 7-inch diameter, which is small enough to clean in tight spaces and has with a detachable washable mop head.
These mops are made with durable materials that will last for years. Since this mop comes with over 41,000 reviews and a 4.7-star rating on Amazon, this easily takes first place.
Turbo Microfiber Wet Mop
The Turbo Microfiber Wet Mop is the perfect thing for cleaning and scrubbing your vinyl plank floors. The mop head can be easily removed for washing, 360-degree rotation, and the pole height adjusts to various heights.
Best mop for double duty work, you can purchase a dust mop pad to dust mop for everyday messes.
Try These Tik Tok Floor Cleaning Tips and Hacks
When you’re cleaning your luxury vinyl floors, here are some hacks and tips for how to make your own floor cleaning solution!
- For best results, add a teaspoon of powdered tide cleaner in very hot water to make your own floor cleaner. Don’t use the detergent on its own as it can leave behind residue. This is great if you have any stubborn stains on your floors.
- It’s a good idea to put a bucket of hot water inside your spin mop bucket, so you can keep the dirty water separate from the clean water.
Do’s and Don’t for Keeping your LVP Floors looking Cleaner longer
- Make your own floor cleaner.
- Regular cleaning of your floors will help keep pet hair and dust to a minimum.
- Protect your floor from scratches and dirt with a mat or rug.
- Don’t use a steam mop on your vinyl floor. The vinyl floor is made of plastic material and can be coated with a layer of polyurethane on the surface. Although it’s known for its excellent water resistance, easy cleaning ability, and durability; using a steam mop can make your planks lose their tightness and bend outwards- which could harm the structure of vinyl.
- Don’t use abrasive scrubbers or products that contain bleach or ammonia. Use ph neutral cleaners that are gentle and safe for the environment. Abrasive cleaners can leave build up trapping dirt and leaving your floors looking dull.
- Make sure to clean up spills right away.
- For high traffic areas, use mats and rugs to protect your floors from dirt and scratches and it’s the easiest way to stop tracking in dirt throughout your home.
- Avoid wearing shoes indoors if possible (especially those with hard rubber soles) so they don’t scratch up your floors.
Vinyl plank floors are a great way to add style and personality to your home. One of the great benefits of vinyl floors is their durability.
Most are waterproof and perfect for families with children and pets who are more prone to everyday messes.
The good news is these quick cleaning tips will help you keep them looking their best!