Do you want to make your own all purpose cleaner to disinfect surfaces too?
One of my go-to cleaning supplies that I use at home and for my cleaning business is my DIY all-purpose cleaner. I can use this cleaning spray on anything, and it only has 3 simple ingredients: water, rubbing alcohol, and Ivory dish soap.
This may seem like it’s not tough enough for house cleaning, but it really is. Isopropyl alcohol has many uses, such as a disinfectant. You can use rubbing alcohol to clean and disinfect high contact surfaces daily during flu and cold season.
Why You Should Use Rubbing Alcohol In Your DIY All-Purpose Cleaner
- It’s cheap, and that’s always a good thing.
- Rubbing alcohol has a ph neutral level like water, and it’s safe to use on granite, slate, quartz and any solid surface countertops.
- Dries very quickly and leaves no streaks or hazy residue on mirrors or glass.
- It’s also de-greaser and can clean any sticky situation.
- Leaves surfaces sparkling clean.
- Rubbing alcohol is a disinfectant and kills germs.
- Fresh scent when combined with essential oils.
- Removes hard to remove water stains on shower doors.
- Leaves faucets clean and shiny.
- Removes paint from clothes
There’s a great article at Apartment Therapy on 6 things you should never use rubbing alcohol on.
Areas To Use The All-Purpose Cleaner
- Countertops – All types
- Cutting boards
- Kitchen Appliances
- Stainless Steel
- Anywhere there is grime build up (around door handles and appliance touchpads)
- Shower Doors
- Vanity sinks
Areas to Clean and Disinfect During Cold and Flu Season
- Light Switches/Plate
- Doorknobs + Drawer Pulls
- Countertop Surfaces – Kitchen and Bathrooms
- Toilet + Handle
- Tabletop Surfaces
- Sink Faucets and Faucet knobs
- Refrigerator Door Handle and Inside Drawers
- Keyboards and Mouse
- Game Controllers
- Household Remote Controls
- Hard Surface Toys
I use this easy to make all-purpose cleaning spray on mirrors and glass, and it leaves no hazy residue. It makes my countertops and surfaces sparkle and shine.
I use a small amount of rubbing alcohol in the mixture it helps dry the water solution fast and so there’s not hazy streaks left behind.
It also makes my stainless-steel appliances shine with this all-purpose cleaning spray. I only use Ivory dish soap in my cleaning solution.
Ivory is mild and gentle on surfaces. I have tried Dawn dish soap, but it left hazy streaks on my mirrors. You can experiment with different dish soaps that you may have, but this is what works for me.
How To Make Your Own All-Purpose Cleaner
What You’ll Need:
- Spray bottle
- Rubbing Alcohol 91% or higher
- Ivory dish soap
- Essential oils *optional
Add 3 parts water, 1 part rubbing alcohol, and 2 teaspoons of Ivory dish soap. Shake well and start cleaning.
Do you want to have that day spa scent in your home?
Try adding lavender and rosemary essential oils to your cleaning spray for a refreshing scent!
I hope you find this homemade all-purpose cleaner helpful and for more cleaning tips, check out our home deep cleaning checklist.